Friday, July 27, 2007

All about Wikis

After reading the various explanations for Wikis, I find this feature isn't for everyone. I agree that there are some librarians that would find this a very helpful tool, especially for such things as Subject Guides. However, by using a Wiki for a Subject Guide, the librarian (or creator of the Wiki) would no longer hold the rights to that work, and I'm afraid eventually the Subject Guide would become it's own life form, and completely lose the original scope. I think I'm more in the mindset that if I'm creating a good research tool, then I want to be able to determine what gets added and when. If students or faculty want to chime in, fine. Let them contact me directly so I can research their suggestions and determine if it's legitimate. I wouldn't want bogus information typed in my Wiki. That would reflect bad on me.

The second part of this exercise was to add information on the OULibraries Wiki. I was determined to complete this exercise on my own, especially when I viewed the blogs already linked (I doubted ability of some of my colleagues). I figured if they could get this assignment done sucessfully, then so could I. And I did. It's nice to be able to link to another webpage without having the lengthy URL. This is very useful.

No comments: