Monday, August 13, 2007

Facebook & MySpace

I'm not sure about social networking over the Internet. Isn't social networking about face-to-face interaction? I don't understand how social networking can be accomplished successfully through cyberspace. Where's the "social" in posting pictures of yourself and making up stories about yourself while sitting alone on your couch tapping on your laptop? Social? I don't think so.

After reviewing Facebook and MySpace, I realize I'm in the minority of people who don't buy into this craze. Yes, it's nice to have your own "page" complete with photo and every boring detail of your life. But, do I really want strangers to know everything about me? Not really. I'm too private for that. In fact, I'm too private to have an "All About Me" page on these social sites. I think it's way too scary to put all my guarded information out there for some stalker to find me and make my life miserable. No thanks.

Social networking for libraries? I don't know. If we all had accounts, we would spend all our working hours updating our pages only to start over the next day. We could become consumed with chatting that our "real" work could be put on the back burner. However, if it was used as a way to stay in contact with what other libraries were doing in terms of innovation, and sharing ideas of what does or doesn't work, then perhaps it would benefit all.

Thoughts from others?

No comments: